- Marshall Power Plant
Marshall Power Plant
The City of Marshall Power Plant is located on the Kalamazoo River in Marshall, Michigan. Municipally owned and operated since 1893, the City of Marshall utility system is the third oldest hydroelectric utility system operating under its original ownership in the United States.
The Marshall hydroelectric power plant contains several remarkable features dating from the earliest, still experimental, era of commercial hydroelectric power generation in the United States. Although none of the original equipment remains, much of the powerhouse and wheel pit are still in existence. The equipment in operation was typical of the small capacity, low-head facilities being constructed in Michigan in the early 20th century. Currently, the plant still functions for the purpose for which it was originally designed over a century ago.
Power Plant activities, services and function include maintaining and operating equipment for the generation of electricity as requested by the Michigan South Central Power Agency and distribution of electricity as required by our customers. Plant personnel maintain the level of the millpond through load regulation of the hydroelectric generators and floodgates to meet the required parameters set forth by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. All plant personnel are responsible for the implementation of our Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure Plan in the event of an oil spill in or around the plant and the Emergency Action Plan pertaining to the dams. Plant personnel monitor electrical systems via Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems and provide a call center for electrical outages.
Since 1893 numerous updates, operating equipment, generators and engines have been installed to ensure that the citizens of Marshall have reliable energy and adequate generation for future demand.