How do I learn more about the River District Overlay?


City Council approved Marshall's River District Overlay on December 21, 2009.

The River District encompasses a certain area of South Kalamazoo. This area is close to the river and within walking distance of downtown Marshall. During the formulation of the new Master Plan, the Planning Commission had a desire to "wake up" this area and help it realize it's full potential.

It all started with the new Master Plan (approved 2008).

The River District incorporates most of the businesses along South Kalamazoo that would benefit from special zoning.

The Master Plan, completed by the Planning Commission in 2008, calls for the current commercial/industrial area on South Kalamazoo to become a "River District". This would be a mixed-use area that would contain a concentration of entertainment, restaurant, retail, and office uses combined with residential and loft dwellings. Businesses in this district would be able to hold outdoor events and festivals working within certain guidelines. It is the goal of the River District to promote a wide variety of uses which promote community recreation, cultural events, and artistic enjoyment.

The intent of this project is to create flexibility in zoning in this area and to encourage destination marketing without taking any current rights or permitted uses away.

Read the entire River District Overlay Ordinance (PDF)

More Information / Questions

Please call the Planning and Zoning Department at 269-558-0354 or email Eric Zuzga if further information is needed.

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for a site plan review?
2. How do I develop property in the City of Marshall?
3. How do I find the City Zoning Ordinance?
4. How do I learn more about the Joint Planning Commission (JPC)?
5. How do I learn more about the Planning Commission?
6. How do I learn more about the River District Overlay?
7. How do I move a house in the City of Marshall?
8. How do I propose a Planned Unit Development (PUD)?
9. How do I rezone a property?
10. What is Rental Rehabilitation?
11. What is the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA)? How do I apply for a variance?
12. What are zoning permits?
13. How do I appeal a letter I have received from code enforcement on noxious weeds?
14. What is a Special Land Use and who needs one?
15. Can I have a portable storage container or a dumpster in the City?